Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Because the Universe keeps me humble.

Yesterday the word got out that I won an award. It's been really incredible to get all the thanks via twitter, facebook, email (thanks, everyone :) I am very humbled to have received the award, and I'd like to thank the academy, Politics Magazine, Julie and all my friends. Oh, my friends! You have endured my eternal bellyaching over years of campaigns, conferences, fundraisers, and various other projects where you've talked me off ledges and reminded me that my hair is, in fact, not on fire.

Speaking of bellyaches, the Universe reminded me yesterday that I can never get a big head about anything. In it's perpetually humorous fashion, the Universe made it clear that despite receiving awards, winning tough campaigns, or receiving accolades, I'm not immune to stupid acts of chemistry.

I managed - in my infinite wisdom and odd food geekery - to create a volcano of acid in my stomach yesterday. Lately I've been jamming on the delicious miracle of yogurt, and not just because I'm a target of clever ads, although that might have something to do with it. I was also was craving something salty and delicious.

In to Potbelly's I went, to grab a cup of seemingly mild blueberry yogurt. Waiting in line, a row of shiny bags of potato chips taunted me and I thought, well, why not? Let's go with Salt and Vinegar chips because - as much as chips are awesome - no one can eat too many Salt and Vinegar chips. I know, Salt and Vinegar is to many people a gross combination to begin with. I was under the impression that a lifetime of eating kimchi had insured a titanium stomach. (yeah, not so much.)

NOTE TO SELF: Acetic Acid and another weak acid with LOTS OF CALCIUM is a really bad combination to throw in your stomach. Because this reaction
acid+ + base → salt + water

Results in this reaction


Add to that the unusual (and very nice) positive recognition (hey, I like to keep a low profile, ok? I love ninjas, remember?) by my professional colleagues, the boss, frenemies and strangers, and voila! My boss found me in a near fetal position under my desk. She innocently stopped by and the following ensued:

"Hey I saw the press relea.... oh my goodness, are you ok?" my boss looks at me aghast.

"I'm ok."

"Go home!" my boss said to me.

"Oh, no, I'm fine! Really," I moan weakly.

"You're doubled over."

"No, no I'm not" I muttered, my head by my knees.

10 minutes later, I sent her an email from a cab, with the subject header: I am an idiot and going home. She wrote back: feel better.

Yeah. Like I said. The Universe. It keeps me humble. :)

2 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations!! (the 1st part, not the 2nd part)

Media Czech said...

STAR