Sunday, February 15, 2009

Everyone loves a good trainwreck

What's a date?
A date is a pre-arrangement with the possibility of love.


Thank you, Say Anything.

Oh EPIC FAIL, how you must laugh in my general direction. I'm watching Say Anything and pondering the fact that the Universe has a really twisted sense of humor. I think the gods convened and decided that opposites, while not attracting all the time, might be funny from a third party's point of view. I'm reading the carnage of my anthropological safari.

So here's the Truth:
1. The date was real.
2. The live-tweeting was consensual.
3. Adults were involved and no one got harmed. (Well, no one got physically harmed, although at points I thought I might stab myself or barf, but that was just a thought not acted upon.)

Reading through the twitter search, I came across this post which does a good job of pointing out some of the major privacy flags we face in a new, networked, real-time world. Some might say we're addicted to outrage, some might say that life imitates art, and some might say I'm gigantically douchey or brave for exposing myself in a ridiculous way. Turns out, this is the Internet and all of the above might be true. I wonder why we're not asking a larger question, which is - why is it in a networked world we're drawn to "fake" news, celebrities, personas? We're probably also reading the "real" stuff. If it's a golden age of satire, I welcome it (particularly when it's not super mean-spirited, although I'd imagine some people would yell at me after last night's spectacle.)

Fact is, I'm a tinkerer, a slightly mad social media scientist, and an accidental humorist. Life is absurd. It should be laughed at, when appropriate. I happen to think most times are appropriate. People laugh about being addicted to twitter. It doesn't replace my life grounded in physical reality, and I like that I share a tiny window in to other people's lives, and they mine. With that comes the bitter and the sweet, but but the potential for sweetness outweighs the bitter -- I think of all the good that's being done: people are getting jobs, people are raising money for clean water, people are coming together during times of crisis and great joy.

And for the record, I have maintained friendships and romantic relationships with Republicans and people of all types of political affiliations (even those without affiliation.) In my world there is space for everyone, even if I don't agree with them. I stay sane by laughing, and try to have a sense of humor about myself and my trips and falls. I don't hate Republicans (see #4). For the haters, well. Yeah. I'm not selling anything except the opportunity to make you laugh. So it's free. And you get what you pay for.

Thanks to those that sent kind words, and thank you for giving me an opportunity to make you laugh. I wouldn't have been able to do this without you. :) Happy Valentines Day.

3 comments:

jon said...

Wow. Thanks for the live-tweeting and the "post-action analysis"!

Where do you think you'll go on your next date with him? (j/k).

jon

Jill said...

Say Anything might possibly be my all-time favorite movie. I really love John Cusack.

You are you - and I like you just like that - or this - or...you know what I mean. :)

Cynthia Samuels said...

This is beautifully written. And so wise. AND I agree with Jill re Say Anything. That scene with In Your Eyes, in the rain... well.

You are just wonderful.